Economic Times | 07 Jul, 2020 | 03.21PM IST
Mumbai currently has 4,938 COVID-19 deaths and 85,724 cases, while China has a total of 4,634 fatalities and 83,565 patients, and stands 22nd on the Worldometer.
!1 New UpdateClick here for latest updates
Kanpur Encounter: Injured Policemen out of danger, Ex-gratia of Rs 1 cr to families of deceased
Injured Policemen are out of danger. CM had visited the spot & met families of the deceased. Ex-gratia of Rs 1 crore has been provided for kin of the deceased & extraordinary pension announced. Job for one member of each bereaved family also announced: UP ADG (law & order)
Moderate to intense thunderstorm & lightning very likely over Uttrakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Coastal Karnataka, Coastal Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand, Gangetic West Bengal during next 12 hours: India Meteorological Department
Union Health Ministry’s updates on number of Covid tests and recovered patients
- Covid tests in India cross 1 crore mark, as a result of continuously expanding network of 1,115 testing labs across the country.
- Recovered patients touch 4,39,947 today.
- 1,80,390 more recovered cases than active cases, taking India’s recovery rate to 61.13%.
1,178 Covid positive cases reported in Andhra Pradesh in last 24 hours
- The total number of positive cases in the state now stands at 21,197
- Death toll rises to 252
- Total of 9,745 discharged
Serial ‘chain’ killer sentenced to death
Man, who gained notoriety as serial ‘chain’ killer for strangling his victims with bicycle chains, sentenced to death by a court in West Bengal’s Purba Bardhaman district for rape and murder of a schoolgirl.
Will Panga replace TikTok in India?
Centered around music, home-grown social-media app ‘Panga’ is ready to fill the vacuum created in India as a result of TikTok’s recent ban. Within a week of its launch, Panga has gained over 100,000 active users.
Rupee tumbles 25 paise to close at 74.93 (provisional) against US dollar
SC extends protection from arrest to Vinod Dua slapped with sedition FIRs, till July 15 when SC will dispose of case
- Probe status report sought.
- Dua is accused of spreading fake news through YouTube show on Delhi riots.
- Dua allegedly accused PM Modi of using deaths for vote bank politics.
Ahmedabad: Heavy rainfall expected
Extremely heavy rainfall is expected in Jamnagar, Dwarka & Kutch. Very heavy rainfall will lash Gir Somnath, Junagarh, Porbandar & Rajkot. Almost all the districts in Saurashtra will receive heavy rainfall today. Some relief expected tomorrow: Director, Meteorological Dept, Ahmedabad
Days after CBI books GVK promoters, MIAL in a cheating and forgery case concerning the development of the Mumbai airport, ED registers a money laundering case in the matter.
ET Bureau reports
Mumbai overtakes China in corona deaths and cases
- In yet another disturbing development, the number of COVID-19 cases and deaths in Mumbai has now oustripped China, where the pandemic reared its head in late 2019, according to the official data on Tuesday.
- Mumbai currently has 4,938 COVID-19 deaths and 85,724 cases, while China has a total of 4,634 fatalities and 83,565 patients, and stands 22nd on the Worldometer.
NDRF saves 2 people
Gujarat: A team of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) rescues 2 people stuck in the Und river catchment area in Jamnagar district.
Karnataka Chief Minister holds a meeting to discuss Covid outbreak
Karnataka Chief Minister B S Yediyurappa holds a meeting with a team of officials from the Union Health Ministry in Bengaluru in view of COVID-19 pandemic outbreak.
Court grants relief to Unilever’s India unit over ‘Glow & Handsome’ trademark
- A court has directed consumer goods maker Emami Ltd to give bigger rival Hindustan Unilever Ltd seven days notice before initiating legal proceedings over the ‘Glow & Handsome’ trademark, according to a July 6 order.
- Unilever India Unit said its skin cream for men will be called ‘Glow & Handsome’, but Emami said it had launched ‘Glow & Handsome’ digitally one week before HUL announced the name change.
National Institute of Ageing in Chennai’s Guindy has been converted to a COVID Care hospital
Director Incharge says, “We have 750 beds in the hospital out of which 300 are oxygen beds, 200 ventilator beds and 250 normal beds.”
SC grants bail to Unitech promoter
- Supreme Court grants bail to Unitech promoter, Sanjay Chandra on grounds that his parents are unwell and hospitalised.
- Chandra had been in jail for almost 3 years in the homebuyers case.
Haryana Govt freeze DA and DR
Haryana Government issues order freezing Dearness Allowance (DA) & Dearness Relief (DR) for state government employees & pensioners respectively, at current rates till July 2021, due to COVID19.
SC says day-to-day hearing in Maratha quota case from early next month
- Petitoner lawyer Shyam Divan presses for physical hearing in the case in a controlled atmosphere.
- Batch of petitions challenged high court decision allowing 12-13% quota to Marathas under SEBC Act.
- Petitioners argue that HC’s decision is seriously erroneous as the State law has breached the 50% cap on reservation fixed by a Constitution Bench in the Indira Sawhney judgment.
- Mr. Divan says total quota now is 72%.
Over 15 lakh quarantined in Mumbai since virus outbreak: BMC
- More than 15 lakh people have been quarantined in Mumbai after contact-tracing so far since the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, the city civic body said.
- Out of these, 5.34 lakh people were identified as high-risk contacts, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) said.
- So far, 13.28 lakh people have completed their 14-day quarantine.
- As of now, 2.46 lakh people are under home quarantine and 14,288 under institutional quarantine, the BMC said on its website.
Defence Minister reviewed the ongoing projects with BRO Chief & other senior officials
Lt Gen Harpal Singh assured Defence Minister that BRO wouldn’t leave any stone unturned to complete ongoing projects on LAC & LoC on time. He informed that all ministries including Defence, Home & Transport are working in close coordination for all projects: Defence Ministry officials
BRO Chief briefs Defence Minister on the ongoing projects on LAC & LoC
Border Roads Organisation Chief Lt Gen Harpal Singh briefed Defence Minister Rajnath Singh on the ongoing road construction projects on Line of Actual Control with China & Line of Control with Pakistan. The briefing went on for more than one hour: Defence Ministry officials
Statement released by Mumbai Police: Investigation updates in Sushant Singh Rajput case
- Police have taken in custody CCTV recordings of Building where he was staying. No CCTVs installed in Sushants house.
- Forensic reports are awaited.
- Yesterday Bandra Police has recorded statement of Sanjay Leela Bhansali.
- Sanjay Leela Bhansali was planning to take Sushant in 4 of his films. But due to unavailability of dates, the films had other actors.
- Mumbai police are investigating into all important details about this case.
- Mumbai Police is awaiting a response from Nodal of Twitter, about the alleged tweets circulated on social media from SSR handle.
Drug peddlers caught
Jammu & Kashmir: Police recover 5,760 bottles of Corex cough syrup and 38,160 capsules of Spasmo-Proxyvon capsules in Samba. DSP Samba says, “2 drug peddlers arrested. The drug consignment was being transported to Kashmir from Gurugram. Further investigation is underway.”
SC grants time till July 10 to UP, Punjab & Tripura to file report on Covid cases among children
SC also took into note that states of Uttar Pradesh, Punjab, Uttarakhand, Tripura are yet to file a reply in the case and granted them time till July 10 to file the report regarding COVID19 cases among children in shelter homes in these states.
SC appoints advocate Gaurav Aggarwal as the amicus curiae
Supreme Court hearing the suo moto case relating to the protection of children from COVID19 in shelter homes appointed advocate Gaurav Aggarwal as the amicus curiae and lists the matter for hearing on July 13.
SC directs UP govt to file status report on Covid infection in shelter home
Supreme Court referring to media reports that more than 50 children in a shelter home in Kanpur are found COVID19 infected, directed Uttar Pradesh government to file a status report in the issue.
No CCTVs in late actor Sushant Singh Rajput’s house
Police have taken in custody CCTV recordings of the building where Sushant Singh Rajput was staying. No CCTVs were installed at his house. Forensic report awaited: Abhishek Trimukhe DCP (Zone IX), Mumbai Police (file pic)
SC grants one month time to the Ministry of Defence to implement its order to grant permanent commission to women officers in armed forces.
Centre had sought six months time due to corona pandemic. (ET Bureau reports)
Chinese envoy to Nepal holds meeting with senior NCP leader
Kathmandu: Chinese envoy to Nepal Hou Yanqi held a meeting with senior Nepal Communist Party (NCP) leader Jhala Nath Khanal at his residence in Dallu today morning.
Severe waterlogging in parts of Dwarka city in Gujarat
Gujarat: Severe waterlogging in parts of Dwarka city following heavy rainfall https://t.co/nzje4RLjtD
— ANI (@ANI) 1594101650000
Kerala govt removes M Sivasankar from the post of principal secretary to CM Pinarayi Vijayan
IAS Mir Mohammed has been given additional charge of the position. Sivasankar continues to remain IT Secretary.
Burglars wearing PPE kits flee with 780 gm gold in Maharashtra
- Burglars wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) kits broke into a jewellery shop in Satara district and walked away with 780 gm gold, police said on Tuesday.
- CCTV footage from the shop, located in Phaltan area, shows the burglars taking hold of the gold jewellery from the showcases and cupboards within, police said.
Infosys brings back over 200 employees, their families from US via chartered flight
- IT services major Infosys has brought back over 200 of its employees and their families, who were stranded in the US amid the COVID-19 pandemic and the lockdown, according to a senior company executive.
- The company brought these people back from San Francisco via a special chartered flight that landed in Bengaluru on Monday morning.
Senior fighter pilot at a Forward Air Base near India-China border speaks on night operations
Night operations have an inherent element of surprise. IAF is fully trained & ready to undertake entire spectrum of operations in any environment with help of modern platforms & motivated personnel: Group Captain A Rathi, a senior fighter pilot at a Forward Air Base near India-China border
Mylan gets DCGI nod for remdesivir in India, to launch at Rs 4,800 per vial
- Global pharmaceutical major Mylan has got approval for its remdesivir from the Drug Controller General of India (DCGI) and will launch a generic version of Gilead Sciences’ COVID-19 anti-viral in the country at Rs 4,800 for 100 mg/vial.
- The drug will be launched under the brand name Desrem in India and will be available to patients later this month at about 80 per cent below the price tag for wealthy nations, the company said.
Demolition work of historic secretariat building in Telangana begins
- The Chandrashekhar Rao-led dispensation in Telangana on Tuesday began razing of the old secretariat building complex in Hyderabad, which has stood the test of time and witnessed the rise and fall of several governments.
- The move comes days after the Telangana High Court dismissed a bunch of PILs challenging the state’s decision to construct a new secretariat complex here by demolishing the existing one.
Rahul Gandhi raises questions
National interest is paramount. GOI’s duty is to protect it. Then, 1. Why has Status Quo Ante not been insisted on… https://t.co/oss1AgQ1XK
— Rahul Gandhi (@RahulGandhi) 1594098665000
Rupee slips 6 paise to 74.74 against US dollar in early trade
IAF carrying night operations near India-China border
Indian Air Force (IAF) Apache attack helicopter at a forward airbase near India-China border carried out night operations.
Uttarakhand: Gangotri highway closed near Dharasu in Uttarakashi district, due to falling rocks.
Mumbai weather forecast
The forecast for the next 24-48 hours indicates reduced rainfall activity over the West coast; intermittent intense spells: India Meteorological Department, Mumbai
Naxals abducted parents of a police personnel in Gumiyapal last night: Dantewada Superintendent of Police Abhishek Pallav, Chhattisgarh
US may follow India’s step in banning Chinese apps
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says that the United States is “certainly looking at” banning Chinese social media apps, including TikTok. (Reuters)
Total Covid tests conducted
The total number of samples tested up to July 6 is 1,02,11,092 of which 2,41,430 samples were tested yesterday: Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR)
TikTok says stopping app operation in Hong Kong
22,252 new cases, 467 deaths in India
- Total cases now stand at 7,19,665.
- Active cases: 2,59,557
- Cured: 4,39,948
- Deaths: 20,160
Terrorist, army jawan killed in Pulwama encounter
Germany: Coronavirus cases rise to 196,944
The European nation recorded 390 new cases
Death toll from flooding in Japan rises to 50
Japan’s disaster management agency says at least a dozen people are still missing.
Ghislaine Maxwell moved to New York
Jeffrey Epstein’s longtime confidante Ghislaine Maxwell was transferred Monday to a New York City jail plagued by coronavirus concerns and other problems as she faces charges that she recruited girls, one as young as 14, for Epstein.
Earthquake in Indonesia
A strong undersea earthquake has hit off the coast of Indonesia’s main island of Java, but no injuries or serious damage were reported immediately. The Indonesian Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency said the temblor Friday had a magnitude of 6.1 and was unlikely to trigger a tsunami.
Hong Kong police granted sweeping security surveillance powers
- Hong Kong’s police have been granted vastly expanded powers to conduct warrantless raids and surveillance — as well as issue internet takedown notices — under Beijing’s new national security law.
- The announcement comes as major tech companies including Facebook, Google and Twitter said they were suspending requests from the Hong Kong government and law enforcement authorities for information on users.
- The new provisions, disclosed late Monday in a 116-page document, remove much of the judicial oversight that previously governed police surveillance powers.
- Officers will be able to conduct a search without a warrant if they deem a threat to national security is “urgent”.
Bolsonaro takes COVID-19 test
Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro, who has long minimized the risks posed by the coronavirus, said he had been tested after showing symptoms including a fever.
US virus death toll passes 130,000
Pandemic an opportunity for terror groups: UN chief
- U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres warned that the COVID-19 pandemic provides new opportunities for the Islamic State extremist group, al-Qaida and their affiliates as well as neo-Nazis, white supremacists and hate groups.
- The U.N. chief said it’s too early to fully assess the implications of the coronavirus pandemic on terrorism, but all these groups seek to exploit divisions, local conflicts, failures in governing, and other grievances to advance their aims.
Total lockdown in Assam’s Jorhat from July 9 to 15
Six naxals held in Telangana
Six naxals of CPI (ML) group were apprehended on Monday in Rajanna Sircilla district.
WHO concerned about impact of COVID-19 on HIV response
“Progress is stalling because HIV prevention and testing services are not reaching the groups that need them most. Improved targeting of proven prevention and testing interventions and services – including PrEP and HIV self-testing – will be critical to reinvigorate the global response to HIV,” Director General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus has said.
Copyright © 2020 Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. All rights reserved. For reprint rights: Times Syndication Service
^Go to Top